"And anyone who welcomes a child like this on my behalf is welcoming me" Matthew 18:5

Thursday, June 16, 2011

What to expect when you are... adopting

I am thinking many of you are curious about what will be happening over the next few months in this adoption process.  I thought I would give a quick overview of what I know.  Just remember, I haven't attended the information session  yet, so this is based on the paperwork and what I have seen and heard from others adopting. 
First, we have filled out our preliminary application with Bethany Christian Adoption Agency.  We have been accepted, and invited to attend the information session on July 8.  There are few things that could get us to leave the beach early, but this is it!!
So, we'll go to the session to learn more info.  Then, we will begin our home study process and full application in July.  We are waiting until then so we have some time to save the money.  These two things will cost about $1800. 
After the home study is complete we'll pay another $1500 for admin and marketing fees.  I think we'll have to compile a scrapbook of us to present to birth mothers. 
Then we wait! The birth mothers choose who they want to place their child with, so we will pray that there is a good match for us soon.  You all know how patient I am (note sarcasm for those who don't know me), so I'll be praying for a birth mother really hard! At the point we are placed, we will owe at least $11000. 
So, that's the overview as I know it.  You can see the need for our fundraisers I'm sure!!
God has blessed Mark and I with the most generous friends and family so I know the funds will be there when we need them.  I just have to learn to remember that ALL the time.  I have already seen how great everyone is. 

3 comments:

  1. this is cute...and I like that I will now know what is going on. See you Friday with my donations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa - I am so excited for you & Mark! This will be a long journey, but it will be well worth it in the end. We have good friends that have also gone down this journey (twice actually), so if you want to run questions by someone that has been through it, just let me know. I know they would be happy to share their experiences with you. Both adoptions were different but all worked out great in the end!

    Thanks also for blogging about this. Since I don't get to see you as often as I like, this will be a great way for me to stay in the loop! Also, I have donations for you for the yard sale & will get them to you before we leave for the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I don't know you that well, I grew up with Mark. He will be an amazing dad, and you must be amazing too since he picked you to go through life with. When I joined your fb page, I had no clue what it was all about. Right now, I can only offer prayers, but don't forget about people in Mark's hometown. I will have to do a little brainstorming!

    ReplyDelete