"And anyone who welcomes a child like this on my behalf is welcoming me" Matthew 18:5

Thursday, June 27, 2013

I'm Having Their Baby - tv show review

Now that we are post-placement, I was able to watch a few episodes of I'm Having Their Baby on Oxygen or Lifetime or some other lady channel.  My first impression was that it was a pretty good interpretation of the side of the birth mothers.  Upon further thought and inspection, there are definitely some issues that really get my goat.  First, it seems that most episodes have two stories, one inevitably backs out of the adoption, the other follows through.  This gives the impression that 50% of birth mothers back out.  Okay, not true.  One of the first things our Greenville attorney told us was that there is about a 10% interruption rate.  Even if that is on the low end, it is no where near 50%.  I could not bring myself to watch the show prior to getting our sweet Kaylin and thank God!! How disheartening for an adoptive parent to see so many birth mothers changing their minds.
The second really irritating thing was the people surrounding the birth mothers and the "advice" they give them.  In our first adoption plan, we heard after the fact that the birth mother had a lot of people in her ear giving her bad advice.  This show epitomizes that!! One episode in particular showed a girl planning to place her child for adoption and she and the father go to talk to his mother.  The mother proceeds to tell them that God doesn't make mistakes and she just thinks they should find a way to make it work. Her mother had 10 kids and she kept every one of them.  Oh my blood was boiling.  At what point do you want to end the cycle.  I think it is totally admirable for a person to make sacrifices to keep their children.  I also think it is completely selfless to realize that no matter how many sacrifices you make, it might not be the life you want your child to live.  God certainly doesn't make mistakes, but He allows people to.  And thank goodness! Otherwise how many parents would never be parents?? These people say they are supporting their friends, sisters, daughters, but what they are really doing is judging.  I know that I am on the other side of the issue, but how can  you judge a person who wants a better life for a child and for themselves for future children.  All of the women on the show are doing the best they can.  I know that some people make the right decision in keeping their children, but the reasons for the adoption are still there.
So, to end this tv show review, I am on the fence.  I will keep watching because I am fascinated by these stories.  But if any of you know someone facing this very difficult decision, please keep in mind that it is a really hard place for a person to be and supporting them doesn't have to mean you give advice or judge.  It just means you stand by them and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment