"And anyone who welcomes a child like this on my behalf is welcoming me" Matthew 18:5

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Our Gotcha Day - Tuesday, June 11

Today began as any other summer day... woke up, hit the gym, came home.  Then I began all the last minute preps for what would be the biggest event since our wedding - our Gotcha Day! I think my previous blog gave a brief overview of what went on so I will try to go into more detail now.  
     We responded to a Bethany recruitment email about two and a half weeks ago about a baby that was already born.  She was small and needing a family.  We read through, discussed, and decided to go for it.  So we responded yes.  Then we got a response saying we were one of 10 families who were interested.  We received more info on the baby's medical status and the mother. Once again, we read, discussed, and I just felt this tugging.  I knew this was the one.  Now, I will say I still had doubts.  There were some things we were concerned about and I was worried.  But I just knew we needed to say yes.  I still didn't think that meant we were getting her, but I knew we should say yes.  So we did! We received an email saying we were one of 5 families.  They would let us know when the mother chose.  And so life went on.  I began our last week of school, enjoying time with the kids and my coworkers.  All the while waiting, really I totally expected to get the email that said a family had been chosen.  I have come to some realizations over the last week through all this.  I have always trusted God's plan.  I didn't necessarily like it, but I trusted it.  I still struggled though with the idea that God answers prayers and God has a plan.  It didn't make sense to me that he would have a plan but He would answer your specific prayers.  Well, let me tell you. I have realized that God's plan may not be set in stone.  These are just my thoughts, so keep that in mind.  But when we got the phone call Thursday that the birth mother had chosen us AND she had already signed the papers, I was like "HALLELUIAH!" That is EXACTLY what I prayed for.  And I realized that God does answer our prayers, but He does it in a way that will work the best for His plan.  I am probably not saying this the way I hear it in my head, but I am trying! 
     So anyways, we found out Thursday and by Friday we were able to start visiting her in the hospital.  She was moved out of NICU into the regular nursery.  We went up for a couple of hours each day through the weekend until yesterday.  Then we signed the placement papers and attended a CPR class today.  The sweet nurses at the hospital took such great care of her and of us when we were there.  We came home this afternoon and Kaylin got to meet her grandparents on both sides, her Uncle Matt, and her Aunt Melissa and Brooks.  There are so many people eager to meet her and get some loving and we are so excited to share her.  She is amazing and adorable and we are so very blessed.  We will continue to thank God every day for everything we have been through that led us to this day.  I know the trials aren't over... we have just entered a new phase of trials and adventures and we look forward to all of them!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how happy I am for the Mixon family!!!!! How precious your little bundle of joy is! What a blessing... the long wait is over. Congratulations Mom and Dad!!! Sounds nice doesn't it! Your lives will never be the same.... Enjoy each precious moment with your new daughter. Congrats! Love, Barbara Walters

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a stranger to you, but I started following your story after a friend posted a link to your blog on Facebook.

    Thank you for trying to articulate your thoughts about God answering specific prayers and also having a plan, as this has been something I have been struggling with this year too, after having two miscarriages in a row. What you say makes sense to me, but I wonder if it is only possible to truly understand it when you are on the other side and the prayers have been answered and the plan is visibly unfolding? Sigh, I don't know.

    But enough about me. The most important thing is that you have your baby, a beautiful little girl! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete