"And anyone who welcomes a child like this on my behalf is welcoming me" Matthew 18:5

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The phone call that changed our summer-- written Sunday

As I wrapped up the school year this week, my mind was racing with all I needed to do to finish and all I needed to do to get summer started! Each summer I do some tutoring and host book clubs for my former students to keep them reading and spend more time with them.  Then on Thursday (June 6), I got the phone call that would change all those plans.
     I will give all the back story later, but for now I just want to share the good news :) Our social worker from Bethany called to tell me that a birth mother had chosen us to be parents to her baby.  Not only that, but she had already signed relinquishment papers!! This was what we had been praying for.  The baby was here, the papers were signed, and there was no going  back! It was the best, weirdest feeling.  I got to tell Mark that we were chosen and we talked through some of the information.  The baby had been born premature a month earlier.  She was in the NICU and the next 24 hours were spent with me finishing up school with my kiddos and us getting things in line to go visit our baby!
      The hardest part of the whole thing was the waiting.  It is now Sunday and we we have been up to see the baby twice.  She is in the regular nursery and she is doing so well.  We are trying so hard to keep a lid on the news.  We have shared with our families and a few friends, but part of what we are looking forward to is letting the families and friends know about baby Kaylin but just showing up with her!
     Kaylin is currently 5lbs 7oz and she is eating all on her own.  She was born May 5 and weighed 3lbs 6ozs.  So she is gaining weight so well.  Yesterday they took out her feeding tube and she has to keep gaining weight through the weekend.  If she does well, they can discharge her Monday or Tuesday.  And then the fun begins :-)
We can't wait to introduce everyone to Kaylin Lee Mixon.  I will end this blog entry by saying that God is so good.  After all we have been through, I have prayed and prayed for us to get a baby that was already here, papers signed, and that is just what God gave us.  What an amazing Lord we have!!

4 comments:

  1. Tears yet again, this is so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost 2 years to the exact date that Bethany accepted ya'lls preliminary application. This is God's plan! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    ~Amber~

    ReplyDelete
  3. so nice post, nice blog, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete